Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saturday, May 10

Well, feeling a bit better today, although I did go back to bed this morning for about an hour. I called Derek and was able to talk to him. I keep calling at the wrong times and have been unable to reach him until now. Sure was good to hear his voice. I think Molly's cell phone is working again, so hope to get a hold of her soon also.

Finally got out of the apartment around noon and took the Tram to the Moskva Ter (Moscow Square) - my stop for school. I located the school quite easily, so I am prepared for Tuesday. My point in going in that direction however was not only to find the school, but to visit two large shopping malls, Mamot I and Mamot II. The downstairs of one of them has a large electronics store. I found the store, but still have not found a recharger for my battery. Quite frustrating.

I took the tram back, picked up a few things at the store, unloaded them at the apartment, and then headed out on foot. I walked along the Danube from Elizabeth Bridge to the Parliament Building and the Ethnography Museum - my goal. I viewed two very good exhibits.

The first was a photo collection/essay of Unknown European peoples. This show focuses on about 8-10 ethnic groups that have sustained their culture regardless of the political country boundaries that have changed over the years. http://www.neprajz.hu/english/kiallitasok/2008ie.html

The second was the permanent exhibit on the Hungarian culture and history. There were fantastic displays of costumes - traditional clothing - from different areas of Hungary, including areas that were part of Hungary prior to WWII. There was a pottery collection as well, with a few pieces from Hodmezovasarhely. I went ahead and used my camera and took a few shots. (Don't know when this battery will go dead, but it will be soon.)

In front of the Parliament, I took a picture of a memorial grave to the Hungarians who were killed by firing squad after the 1956 revolution. I also took a picture of the flag flying over it, hoping to catch it waving in the wind to show the hole cut in the flag to remove the Soviet Communism symbol. I thought my mom and dad would be particularly interested in this, as they read the James Michner book, "The bridge at Andou" about this revolt.

From here I walked along the Danube some more and then decided to see if I could get into a folk dance show. I found the theatre, only to find that tonight is a symphony performance. I was able to purchase a ticket for tomorrow night though at a different theatre on the other side of the Danube. I haven't spent much time over on the Buda side yet, so that will be good to see how to get around.

After viewing the exterior of the St. Stephan church, I walked up one of the main roads, known as the outer ring road, to the Nygati train station and then back to my apartment. Got in plenty of walking and I think the clean air helped my cold.

I've studied the maps and tram/metro routes and think I know how to get to the zoo tomorrow to meet the kids from Hod. I'll leave in plenty of time to start over if I have to!!!! lol

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting for us all.
I found an article that describes some of the photos is the Unknown Europeans exhibit:
http://www.washdiplomat.com/May%202006/b5_05_06.html

Glad you're feeling better and hope your quest for a battery recharger is successful!