Sunday, June 1, 2008

Other things beside school!

Although school has been intensive, I have spent a little time the last two weekends getting out. Last weekend I purposely went back and forth between work and getting out. On Friday night a number of us were going to meet at one metro station and then go a jazz club that some had been to the weekend before. Well, at the metro station, only 2 others showed up, so off we went to find the jazz club, figuring everyone else would be there. Well, the two guys I met up with realized as we got to the area, that they couldn't remember exactly where it was as someone had led them to it the weekend before! We ended up in another jazz club and never did find the one we were supposed to meet at. Come to find out on Monday, we weren't the only ones wandering around that night, looking for the place. Some folks had slept right after school and didn't get up in time for our meeting place. So they headed out later and ended up not knowing where to go either! Anyway, we still had fun!
Got up early and went to a Saturday market, much like the one I posted pictures of in one of my first blogs. This one was much smaller and not in a tourist area, so I didn't feel right taking pictures. But, once you've seen a pile of fruits and veggies...... Anyway, I was able to buy fresh strawberries and other fruits and veggies and basically pigged out on them for the next two days. They really don't serve fruits and veggies in restaurants, and the little store by my place has a very very limited supply. After doing that, I wandered down to the Opera House to buy a ticket to the opera, but was only able to get a ticket for the next night to a ballet, "Zorba". Which was just fine with me, as my intent was to have the opportunity to go in and see the Opera House as it is a "must see" in all the travel books. I paid 3200 forint (20 bucks) to see the ballet, while folks just going in to look around at the opera house paid just 2.50 less than me! Getting the ticket for the next night turned out to be a good deal for me, as it helped me to not spend the whole weekend doing my school work.

Early last week, I got a haircut at a place not far from my apartment. Reasonably priced and the usual for me: not sure how to tell her to cut it, she did it, I smiled, I left, washed it, and still don't like it!!!! Oh well.....

On Friday afternoon, Giulia - the exchange student from Italy who lived with us in 2004 (?) came to visit me. Since I had school and the assignment due and a lesson to teach, she headed out on her own for the afternoon and early evening. When we hooked up after school, she had seen quite a bit and was very comfortable with her way around the city. We went to the pub above the metro station right by the school and visited with the other students. It was much needed release for me as Friday was quite overwhelming. Anyway, went to a traditional Hungarian restaurant for dinner with one of the other students and had a good time.

Saturday we were up early again and off sightseeing. We walked over to the Buda side and took the Funicular up to the top of castle hill where we toured a museum and the St Mathias's Church. The exterior of the church is under construction, so didn't have good views of that. But inside was quite something. This church has been rebuilt a number of times with the current interior having been done at the end of the 1800's. We lucked out: as we walked in we heard music, and sure enough there was a singer and small chamber orchestra practicing. I took pictures of the many designs - of an east meets west style - that are painted right onto the walls and posts throughout the church and a quick video of the practicing musicians. I also took a picture of the pipe organ my friends who play the organ!

After stopping in a shop that sold Hungarian embroidery and lace items, we found a little place for lunch with tables outside. Giulia went into the place to use the bathroom and came back out and said, "There's no kitchen!!" But our food came out a little bit later..... I had to use the bathroom before we left and sure enough, there was a counter with a espresso machine, a microwave and a refrigerator. There were also a number of tupperware type containers littered about!!! I don't think either of us will ever forget eating at a "restaurant" without a kitchen!


















Looking out from the castle museum.


Design on church pillar.


I really wanted Giulia to see Hero's square which is by a huge park, one of the baths and the zoo, so we headed there via subway. The station we wanted to get off at was closed, so we had to go one further. We started making our way back to the square and we were beginning to see more and more people and the whole square blocked off. We watched the large screens for awhile and I saw the horse riders from the Puszta that I had seen before, and a number of other horse teams, with the riders in different traditional costumes. We didn't have a very good view, so we headed down Andrassy Boulevard where their were booths lining both sides of the street. I began to realize they were from all the different towns around Hungary and saw the one for Hodmezovarsahely with Ilde from the tour info center and the potter and his wife!!!! We asked what this was all about and found out it was a nationwide competition between the different regions of Hungary and every place that had a team in the competitions had booths for their towns. Hod's booth had the pottery and a little of the embroidery, but they were trying to save most of the embroidery for a cultural exchange to France next week! It was really fun to see Ilde and chat with her for a bit.

By this time it was getting to be around 7 and we were tired, so we went to a park where Giulia had seen a music fair the day before, and sure enough, there was a band playing. We got plates of traditional Hungarian foods and listened to the music until quite late and I was totally exhausted. Just can't do a week of late night/early mornings and go out and about all weekend!








That's about it for now. Got to either get to bed early or do some of the work for this week!








No comments: