Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Back home in Kisvarda

27 hours of travel and I am back in Kisvarda. Boy, what a difference 2 weeks makes in the spring. Everything is green; grass, leaves on trees and flowers everywhere. Doesn't seem to be a lot of daffodils or tulips in public areas, but when I take a walk later, I'm sure to see some in private gardens.

I was greeted at the school by students from the dorm, and was promptly misted with perfume as is the Hungarian Easter tradition. I also received these beautiful eggs and a chocolate egg from a student. I shared bubble gum eggs and peeps with a few of the students.

After a nice hot bath, I was in bed by 9pm. Although I woke up about every two hours, I went right back to sleep until 6 this morning. I have sleep to catch up on though, so expect it to hit me later. Will work hard on getting right back on track with day and night.

Students are smiling ear to ear, are tanned from 2 weeks of sun, and after 5 days off for Easter are not focusing on school! The school leavers have only two weeks to go and then exams. They are excited and ready to leave school, but are not ready for the exams. The benches are out all over the grounds and students are sitting in the sun between the classes.

This mornings first class was my Advanced 9E and they had their first Easter egg hunt. I used the plastic eggs filled with jelly beans, egg shaped Reese's peanut butter pieces, and egg shaped malted milk balls and an Easter sticker. I know they don't have jelly beans and I haven't seen any of the other kinds of candies here either. The cleaning ladies helped me out by hiding the eggs just as soon as class started and then we came out to hunt. Wow! The kids were thrilled. Unfortunately, there are still two eggs hidden somewhere! Maybe the maintenance guys found them before we came out...?

When I went to my second class, 11B/D, they were ready for an egg hunt too! Unfortunately, I only brought enough of the plastic eggs for the 9E classes. So, I shared the jelly belly's and stickers of Alaska animals with them. Next class is the advanced 10E that I traveled to Egar with. I will show some of my pics from the trip home and then share jelly beans with them too. I had a package mailed here with fudge that I will share with them when it gets here.

It is just noon, I have one more class for the day, and then I am free! Amazing! Much slower pace here for me. I will have the dorm students tonight, and we will probably play a game, and I might help David study for his English exam which is on this coming Saturday. He is excused from classes the next three days to prepare.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Margie,
I am hoping that you will be willing to begin a dialog with me and my partner Bonnie as upcoming 50+ years aged CETP teachers for 2009-10. Bonnie lived in Juneau in the 70s/80s. We now live in Oregon. We have lots of practical questions that we hope you can give us some better perspective on. Please get back to me at gaelyn37@gmail.com if you are able to help us. We have enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks.

Larry & Bonnie