Saturday, January 10, 2009

Gas Crises continues

Saturday morning and I am sitting in my flat on the school grounds, knowing I am the only one around for the next nine days...kind of eerie, but also I am looking forward to some time to relax at home.

I check the BBC news each day for the world view of what is happening, and then I check the Budapest Times, an English Language newspaper, for the Hungarian view. I must say, the teachers on Friday were more concerned about the academic impact of this week off, and seemed less concerned about the issue itself, than they did on Thursday. The announcement that the gas will be turned back on when the EU monitors arrive in the Ukraine seemed to calm people a bit.

However, this morning's news, it appears the gas is still not flowing and it may be a few more days because now Russia wants everything resolved first, when before they said they would let it flow with just the monitors in place. Ongoing saga that I will obviously follow closely.

Today's goals: Although still with a cold, a half hour walk, 1 hour of studying Hungarian and 1 hour of general ESL/EFL techniques. Laundry, housework and shopping, followed by a movie and reading time....

1 comment:

OrcaSister said...

What an unexpected quiet time for you! enjoy it while it lasts (I saw a headline here that suggested an agreement will be signed soon to alleviate the gas crisis.)

Have you found particular spots in Hungarian that are hard for you and correspond with difficulties for your students?

This is from Anne F (dol)