Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Gas Crisis/school

Well, the gas crisis continues, I think! Got bored with following it!!!!

We were called back to school on Thursday last week, and factories were given the go-ahead for full production as well. Hungary's reserves are enough since usage is down due to the weather getting a bit better, that they figured it was ok to go back to full usage. Other countries aren't as lucky and some are still in dire straights. You can follow this on BBC news on line.

The Russians and Ukraines have again come to an agreement and again say they will sign it, and again say gas will flow. No one believes it until it happens.

We will have to make up two of the three days we missed by having Saturday school. This is a real drag for me, as it cuts into my weekend travels! We will have our first make up day on January 31 and our second the last Saturday of March.

This weekend is the "Charity Ball", which is a mandatory attendance for the teachers. Our tickets are 2000 forints, around $10.00. There will be door prizes of various items donated by the community, so raffle tickets are also for sale. I donated a book on Alaska by Mark Kelley and Nick Jans for one of the door prizes. Tara, CETP teacher from Mariapocs who I've traveled with is thinking about coming over. It's pretty hard for her to stay in her town on the weekends because there just isn't much to do in her small town of around 2000 people.

Next weekend we will have Saturday school, and then I am invited to dinner at one of the Hungarian English teacher's house. Dora is married to Mark, one of the past CETP teachers from here.

And then, the next weekend is my birthday weekend! I decided I had to throw my own 50th party, so am going into Budapest, staying at a hotel that has a thermal spa and will go to the Ballet on Friday night, spa all day Saturday, and go out to dinner and a blues club. I have invited everyone I know in Hungary to join me for all or part, so should have a good time!

And that's as far as I have planned out! I am thinking about our spring break, but it is only 5 days total. I'm considering a couple of places and really enjoy looking at them and planning potential activities. We'll see...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and here in Juneau, the utility is burning diesel because an avalanche wiped out another tower -- the 40 degree weather is a good thing!

Anne F
DOL