Monday, April 28, 2008

End of first week

On Thursday, we had to move from this hotel to a town about 5 kilometers outside of Hodmezavasarahely to a municipal owned B&B. This was a large lodge type place located on the Tizsa River with many bedrooms. This is a place that the guests of the municipality stay. It was very quiet and peaceful with fishermen fishing at all hours, birds chirping early in the morning, and mosquitos out at night! There was a common room which we gathered in to visit before dinner each night, and a computer that worked occasionally.


So, on Friday and Saturday we took cabs in to our schools. This actually was kind of nice, as I was able to get a better picture of the layout of the town in my mind. Since I did not have English classes at my school on Friday or Saturday, I joined Terri at her high school on Friday and then Annie D. at her elementary school on Saturday. The teenagers here are the same as everywhere else: I had a hard time engaging them, and the larger the group, the harder. I did ask them about music some and the most popular group was "Children of Destruction". I definately prefer the younger ages. I have not had a chance to work with adults, and don't think I will, as my day is quite full with the assigned school. We have just 3 more days of classes, as Thursday and Friday are holidays (that's why we taught on Saturday this week).


Yesterday, Sunday, was our first day off from school. For those who wanted, there was a tour available to the Puszta, or a ranch on the Great Plains. Actually, we are located on the southern plains of Hungary, which is part of the Carpathian Valley. It is heavily planted with rapeseed - or canola plants. There are greath swaths of heavy yellow blossoms across the fields.

Our visit to the Puszta was fantastic with a wagon ride, apricot brandy tasting, a horse show and a wonderful traditional meal with a gypsy band playing. I have posted pictures on the photo page: http://picasaweb.google.com/margie510

I am obviously having a hard time keeping up with the writing, but will catch up I hope over the next few days.

Hmm, spell check still isn't working, so my poor spelling is here for all to see!

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Love your blogs. Keep them coming.