Friday, April 18, 2008

First Day in Budapest

I arrived a day early for the volunteer program so I could adjust to the time difference. Not so sure I'm getting on the right schedule, but have caught up on some sleep. There was a planned transit strike today, so I went on a two hour tour around the city and then walked along the Danube and along a tourist shopping district. I finally got my camera software loaded onto the lap top and am figuring out how all this works. You can view today's photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/margie510/BudapestDayOne


Some observations:

Grafitti everywhere! Even in the nicer sections of the city. It really struck me to begin with, but soon it just blended in with all the other signs that I couldn't read!

This isn't tourist season yet, but still plenty to go around! I heard many languages being spoken and multiple languages by individuals. Reminds me that I only know one language.

It is definately spring here and with it is the confusion of whether it is warm or cold. I saw people today dressed for the cold with down coats and scarfs and people walking around in short sleeves. It was sunny this morning and it called for rain this afternoon, and it did cloud up pretty good before I absolutely crashed around 4 this afternoon. Don't know if it ended up raining or not!

Smoking seems to know no boundaries! Elegantly dressed elderly women, young adults, construction workers and bums all smoking as they walk down the street. But, actually not as many people as I had expected.

No comments: