Monday, October 20, 2008

Off to Transylvania

I head out to Transylvania tomorrow morning. I catch a train at 6am to Debrecen Hungary where I will join the CETP group of teachers for a six day bus tour in Transylvania. I am looking forward to exploring this area - the tour books make it sound beautiful. There are wild boars and bears in this area, and you apparently can find both on the restaurant menus! We will stay 4 of the nights with Hungarian families (although this is Romania, Hungarians are the largest single minority in Romania - as this part of Romania was part of Hungary until the treaty settlements following WWI). One night will be in a hotel.

I went on Sunday to purchase my train ticket. I studied in my Hungarian phrasebook and figured out what I needed to say. So I wrote it down and showed it to the ticket clerk! It was the same clerk who helped me when I went last week to go to Nyiregyhaza. The English teachers thought that was a real kick - Istvan said he had to go with the teacher last year to the train station everytime the teacher wanted to go anywhere.

I will have sporadic access to email, but please keep the messages coming and I will try to respond when I return. The tour is over on the 26th, however I am thinking I will stay for longer as we will have another full week of the break from school.

No comments: