Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Whew - busy days!

One of the English teachers will be out all week as her daughter is ill. Don't know what is wrong that she will be out all week, but the rest of us must take her classes. So, yesterday, I had one extra class, and today, I had three extra classes, for a total of 5 classes today -- of which 3 I was not prepared for! But, I did kind of know that I would have extra classes, so I went in early to see the substitute list - and sure enough, there I was for the three classes.

So, I ended up with one of the 9E classes three times today. This is the advanced class and they are very well behaved. I gave them a break the last class period, and had them do a crossword puzzle (that I ran home and made during one of the breaks) and then showed them a DVD on Alaska. (Did you know that they make "DVD Postcards"? I found them when all the tour shops were having their end of the year sale.) They learned a number of English words - humpback whale, etc.

One other class I substituted in was the 12B "advanced" group - ha! I had this group on Friday and gave them homework - but of course it wasn't due until this coming Friday, so..... After a failed attempt at trying to teach them a few idioms about travel, I moved on and told them to use the time to do their homework assignment, which was to write 1/2 a page on why I should go somewhere on Holiday. Well, one girl refused to write! I reminded her that this would be on the exam for passing the English exam and receiving her cert, but she just kind of shrugged. So, I called two students up individually, and had them read theirs to me and we discussed them. Then I called her up, and she had nothing. So I told her that I was giving her a 1 (F) for the class period and her eyes just about bugged out. The headmaster and all of the teachers have told me repeatedly that I must be strict with the students! Hope that helps keep her in line in the future and doesn't just cause a struggle with us for the rest of the year..... We'll see.....

After classes yesterday, Edit took me to the bank to wire the money for my trip to Transylvania with the other teachers. After waiting their for 15 minutes the teller told us we should just go to the bank and directly deposit the funds, since the bank was just down the street! So we did. All transactions you do around here, it seems you need your passport. Everyone carries their passport with them as their primary piece of id!

Then today after school, the Headmaster, his wife, Edit and I went into Nyiregyhaza to the immigration office to apply for my work visa. I already have my work permit, my tax card, my bank account and now this was the last thing. Again, this took quite awhile with multiple forms that Edit had to fill out for me. She now knows my mother's maiden name, my date of birth and place of birth by heart! The headmaster's wife did other business while we were doing ours, and then we met up with her and walked to a large mall at the end of the plaza. Edit and I went into the electronics store and I got a printer/scanner/copier - YEA! This will be SOOOO nice to have right in my flat and not have to go running back and forth to the teachers room.

It was a bright and sunny day today and the roses on the campus were all opened wide and looked beautiful. On the drive into Nyiregyhaza, there were people picking apples in the orchards and some of the other fields being worked. I saw a horse-drawn wagon in one of the fields full of produce. The sun was setting on the drive back with a golden glow on everything. And, I did not sit at a desk all day writing a report or re-working someone elses work. So, the day was fantastic! And now, I must prepare for the classes I have tomorrow, so at least I know what I am doing in my scheduled classes!

No comments: