Sunday, November 16, 2008

The last two weeks...

One thing is guaranteed in Hungary and especially in this school: plans are to be broken!

For the last two weeks, the 12th graders have been preparing for a big event which celebrates their last year in school. This event, (which I didn't write down the name) has three components: religious, formal, and class performances. Each of the four 12 grade groups prepare a half hour program including skits and dances. Everything at the school has been focused on preparing for this. The grounds keepers have been super-busy (the rose bushes were finally cut back), costumes and formal clothing have been prepared, decorations for the gymnasium and the cafeteria and the stage have been prepared, and as the last two weeks progressed, hair has been cut and colored and fingernails polished!

During my class period, one of the groups repeatedly practiced their program. Each of the other classes would have students missing. One day, I only had 4 students out of 18 in the class! Needless to say, I haven't been on schedule with the syllabus! Other teachers have said they haven't seen their 12 grade groups in two weeks!

On Friday, the classes were shorter and then the last two cancelled. The whole school went across the street to the theatre and we got to view the shows. Fantastic! these kids can dance! All four were different, but a lot of fun. It was especially fun to see the one class that had used my class time to practice, do their dances in full costume.

On top of the excitement regarding the 12th grade event, one of the English teachers had surgery and has been off of work since last Tuesday and will be out until the end of the month. Then, on Wednesday of this past week, another of the English teachers got sick and was out Wed - Fri. When a teacher is out ill, they do not call in a subsititute. Instead, the other teachers pick up the slack!

This resulted in my Tuesday going from 2 classes, to 6 classes, with one of them doubled up with two groups in it! Then on Wednesday, the same thing, from 3 classes to 6, except I had two periods with double the students! Uncontrollable let alone un-teachable! Thursday I already had a full schedule of 6 classes, but they were still able to use me to substitute by doubling up again! When you have around 3o students from absolute beginner to advanced, there is not much you can do! I did find a few board games on line and had them work in pairs to do the games - all ESL of course.

After returning from the fall break, I decided to take more of my evening meals in the Cafeteria to save money - especially since I haven't gotten paid yet. Well, the first week back, the food really sucked! Two fried eggs on a bowl of creamed peas does not a dinner make for me. I found this quite frustrating, sending me to the store shopping at the last minute. Then last week, on Tuesday I go to dinner at 6:30 and ---- the cafeteria is dark and no one is around! I found out the next day that the students went to some performance at the theatre, so had to have dinner early before the performance....do ya think someone would have told me?

The week before last, I met with Mike, the other CETP teacher here in Kisvarda one day after school and talked about everything under the sun. Sure is nice to have another American right here to talk to once in awhile.

Also one day I was in the teacher's room at the end of the day, and there was a man waiting for me in the hallway. His name is Zsolt and he and his wife have a language school here in Kisvarda. They teach mainly English, but have someone who also teaches a few German classes. They have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and he asked if I would be interesting meeting with him, his wife and their daughter for 2 hours twice a week, plus on Sundays from 9am - 1 or 2pm for drives around the countryside, all the while with them practicing their English and encouraging their daughter to speak English in this time. I am so full with my obligation to the school and other things that I want to do, that I just don't have time, and don't want to take on any private students. And certainly not every Sunday, which would cut into my availability to go anywhere over the weekend or accept an invitation to lunch!

My hostel (dorm) classes have also increased. I must teach 3 per week instead of 2. I have now divided them into advanced, beginners, and then combined and we will play word games in the combined class.

This Tuesday right after my last class (on my nightmare day), Edit took me into Nyiregyhaza and I got my work visa. I am now legal until June 15! One day soon, I should now get paid - I hope!

So, busy times! And I am loving it!

No comments: