Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ribbon Pinning Celebration

Yesterday was the big event. At 3pm, all the 12th graders and the teachers met at the Catholic Church for mass and the pinning of the ribbons on the teachers. First there was mass, then the blessing of the ribbons and then the students took the ribbons and a lily to each of the teachers and pinned the ribbons on their lapel. The young man who did mine is one of my better students, so that was really nice.







From there, we went to the theatre. (The school, the town theatre, and the church, are all located on the town square - Floria'n Te'r - a few steps from each other.) All of the students came on stage by class, and their form (homeroom) teacher pinned the ribbon on each student and the students presented the teacher with a bouquet of flowers.

















After a short break, came the class waltz. Only a few students can participate in this, and the teachers must select the students. This is a very difficult situation, trying to be fair when there just isn't enough space for all. Often, it is the students who have been the leaders in activities throughout the four years of school who are selected. As you can see, this is very formal with the young men in tuxes with tails and the young ladies in matching beautiful white dresses. It was quite the sight to see.

After this beautiful waltz, each of the 4 classes presented their show. The pictures will all be posted separately on my photo page instead of here in the blog.
After the show, all the students, their families, and the teachers all went back to the school. The teachers' room and 4 of the classrooms were transformed into buffet tables with a huge variety of food prepared by the families. The cafeteria was transformed into a dining hall for the students and their form teachers and they had a formal meal served to them. Then, the waltz once more, this time in the gym, and a dance for the students followed. All the girls were in prom style dresses and some of the boys remained in their tuxes while others had changed back to their every day attire. The party in the teachers' room went on until at least midnight and when I went to bed, I could still hear the music coming from the gym.
It was a fantastic afternoon/evening and I enjoyed myself tremendously. I laughed and joked with the other teachers through broken English and Hungarian and I'm not sure any of us really knew what the other was saying. I met a teacher's wife who is an English teacher at an elementary school and their 16 year old daughter. Both of them just wanted to talk and talk to me in English. I met an elderly gentleman who is a retired teacher from here and the school priest, Father Lazslo. (Lazslo is a VERY common name: I have 5 Lazslo's in one of my classes!) Both spoke English and we were able to chat. I engaged in girl-talk with one of the other English teachers and talked politics and social issues with another of the English teachers - we just don't get much time to visit throughout the school day. Both of these teachers have invited me to their homes for Sunday lunch; I will probably go next Sunday to Istvan Suba's and then not sure when I will go to Marianne's, but in the next few weeks. Both will sure to be very nice and fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Margie
Thanks for doing the blog. I enjoy reading your adventures. Am in Sparks along the Truckee River in RV park. Sunny and 60's during day. Had nice visit with Vee yesterday.
Marcia