Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Busy Holidays no matter where you are...

Yesterday, Tuesday was quite a busy day for me, although I was only scheduled for two classes. First, I had an extra class because a teacher was out. Then, at 2pm there was a Christmas concert in the chapel put on my the students from the music school here in Kisvarda. Immediately following that, I met Mike, the other CETP teacher for coffee and a visit. I met two of his students and had fun visiting with them as they practiced their English - both were quite good. He invited me to join him tonight, for a concert at the music school in which one of his students will participate, and then we are invited by the student's mother, Zeta, to their house for dinner! So, he walked me down to the music school to make sure I knew where it is, so I can find my way there on my own. We stopped at the store, and I bought a bottle of wine to take with me to Marianne and Tibor's house, where I was going for dinner. (She is one of the English teachers here at St. Laszlo.)

We had a great dinner. Their teenage daughter, and her 22 year old boyfriend were there. The boyfriend, Zsolt, had many questions for me and we enjoyed visiting. Also, they received a call from a friend who was stuck in Kisvarda for a few hours due to the train strike, so Tibor, went and got him, and he joined us for dinner as well. He is a professor at one of the Universities in Debrecen, and knew Marianne and Tibor in the Ukraine. We had Ukrainian vodka, home made palinka from cherries and another fruit, champagne and the Tokaj wine I brought! Oh yea, we had cavier for an appetizer, a delicious chicken dish with mashed potatoes and salad, and tiramisu for dessert. I was there quite late, visiting with them.

Today in the teacher's room I served the two sockeye smoked salmon fillets that I brought with me and told the teachers thank you for helping me with everything. It disappeared very quickly and everyone loved it.

I'm off now to the teacher's English class to hear them present on what they have learned, and then off to the concert and dinner.....as I said, busy time of year, no matter where you are....

Oh, and I had two extra classes today -- I really hate that!

No comments: