Thursday, December 18, 2008

More holiday celebrations...

Wow, busy week and I am loving it.

Last night was a wonderful performance by many students of the music school. Extremely talented kids. They take learning an instrument, or singing, as seriously as they take their studies. I was confused about who we were visiting. One of Mike's colleagues, Zeta, at the other high school has twin boys who played their instruments in the performance. We then went to their house in Ajak (ayak) for dinner. WHEREVER you go, you are always given a glass of palinka first! I have learned: if you empty the glass, they will refill it, so you must leave a little in the bottom unless you are up for a wild night!!! Zeta's husband is a Doctor in Ajak and they have a daughter in college in Budapest. It was a very pleasant evening just visiting.

This morning I got to talk to all my bookclub friends - it's great to be able to keep in touch this way. Only problem is they are going to Tenakee without me for a bookclub! Hmm, I think I will choose the next book and have the gathering here!

I made it through my scheduled six classes, and luckily did not have any extras. Edit called the train station for me, and they told her to call back tomorrow. Each day there are some trains that run, but they don't know until that day. So, fingers crossed, there will be some train out of here tomorrow. All the teachers are helping me, and Istvan has been asking his students if their parents will by driving to Budapest in the next day or two. One way or another, it is going to work!

I was quite happy to hear that Molly has made it to Anchorage and then will be in Juneau for Christmas. Just a big relief to me.

Tonight was a charity performance at the theatre across the street. It was organized by the 12C class and it turned out very nice. I was given a free ticket by the "form teacher" for the class, but still made a donation when I left. As soon as I was at my door, David came running out of the dorm, asking me to come to a party. I have not had the dorm classes all week, and have missed dinner the last three nights too. So I went over and took some of the peanut butter with me and the kids all tried it. The snack du jour was dinosaur cheese puffs, skewered by pretzel sticks and hot dog and bun shaped and flavored cheese puffs!!! Are these kind of snacks coming out at home too? We had good rap music and a strobe light going --- I felt pretty cool!

Going to pack, get my notes in order for classes, and be ready to leave on the train whenever there is one! Classes are short and there is no 5, 6 or 7th period as there is another performance and then a special lunch...don't know now if I will get to participate or not.....just depends on the trains....


Will try to post during my trip.....

No comments: