Thursday, December 11, 2008

Szent Miklos Day and Christmas

St. Nicholas Day on December 6, is celebrated here with visits from St. Nicholas -- a Santa figure. He brings gifts of toys to young children and gifts of candy, fruit and other goodies to everyone. Kids at school exchanged gift bags with each other and teachers gave students chocolate Santa Clauses - like our chocolate Easter bunnies - on Friday December 5. Since I was not quite myself still (from the night outside the train station), I forgot to take pictures! And, since no one told me, I didn't have chocolate for the kids -- although most of the exchanging was done in their homeroom classes of which I don't have one.


One teacher kept coming into the the teacher's room with wine gift bags --- he had 4 of the bags lined up! Then he came in with empty hands and I asked him what the problem was --- didn't he have another bag of wine to bring in?


In the teacher's room, we were all gifted with a very nice box of chocolate truffles. Earlier this week, one of the English teachers came and got me and took me to the office, where we both received gift certificates for 6900 forints (around $30) which can be redeemed at most of the grocery stores.


On Christmas, the families will exchange gifts again, this time from the baby Jesus. Santa does not play into the picture on Christmas....he's done and gone at this point!

I asked the kids about their gift giving/receiving today. They celebrate their name day, their birthday, St. Miklos Day and Christmas with gift giving. The also give gifts on Valentines Day and women get gifts on Woman's day and men get gifts on Easter from the women. Lot's of opportunities to make a sale for the enterprising!

No comments: