Thursday, May 7, 2009

Food and Money

Yesterday evening after I returned to the school, a group of girls stopped by to see if I wanted to go get ice cream with them. But I had not bathed yet and was in dirty clothes, so I asked them if they would get a gyros for me from the shop next to the ice cream shop. I'd seen them getting these before, but had not had one here yet. As I had no food in the flat, this turned out to be a great option for dinner.

A few hours later, another knock at the door, this time two other girls, with a full plate of stuffed cabbage! Seemed that there was dinner in the canteen after all, and they thought I would like to have some as the other girls had told them I didn't have any food in the flat! (It's all in the fridge still.)

Today, I entered the main building and the accounting secretary saw me and motioned for me to follow her to the office. She had me sign on a piece of paper and then handed me 14,000 forints - about $65.00. Since she doesn't speak English, I couldn't ask her what it was for, but I saw that all the other teachers got it to. I later asked one of the teachers and she said it was for supplies. Sounds good to me, as I have definitely spent that and more on students and supplies.

THEN, I walked into the teacher's room, and there was pizza and cake for a name day celebration! Seems when I am out of food in the flat, I don't have to worry.

This afternoon I went to the stores and spent some of the money on strawberries, melons and fresh veggies...YUM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't start a hunger strike in Hungary! :)
It's futile.