Monday, February 9, 2009

Oh, where to start?

Had such an awesome weekend...which actually started on Friday morning when I went into the teachers' room between the 2nd and 3rd classes and they had a cake with candles, flowers and a


beautiful necklace for me. Istvan made a short speech, and then the kissing began...or the cheek pecking, or whatever you call it. Left, right. Left, right. And the Happy Birthdays and the Buldog Szulete'snapot after each one!

A couple of my classes wished me Happy Birthday as well, with flowers, drawings on the board, cards, and attempts to sing Happy Birthday in English...there's a bit of confusion about the third refrain "...dear Margie" part: all classes stumbled on it!

I took off out of here immediately following my last class, with Istvan and his wife giving me a ride to the train depot and helping me get my tickets and onto the train. I made it to the ballet just in time. Met up with Hannah and Briggi and Briggi's contact teacher, Eta. The ballet was Anna Karinina, so a bit of a downer at the end, but beautiful costumes, dancing and music. This is the second ballet I have seen (other than bits of Swan Lake and Nutcracker), and both of them incorporated traditional folk dancing. This one had great Russian folk dancing, reminding me of the Sitka Russian dancers. After the ballet, we went to a place and met up with Lyla and Lauren, and I had a fantastic salad with duck breast and then on to another place for desserts. It was great to compare our teaching stories, discipline problems and funnies.

I spent most of the day, Saturday in the baths at the Gelle'rt. I never made it to any of the baths in Budapest last time I was there, so this was very nice. Although it reminded me of the baths in Baden-Baden that I visited with Jeanne and Molly when Molly was in Germany, this was quiet different. There was not a set routine, instead you could just make use of the two thermal pools, the sauna, the steam room, the swimming pool and the "sparkling" pool at your own pace and order. And the other difference was that here, you were allowed to wear your swimming suits, and required to wear your swimming suits in the combined areas of the swimming pool and sparkling pool.

I met Hajni (CETP coordinator) in the early afternoon for coffee and then went back into the baths with Hannah and we were later joined by Franny and Jon who came up from southern Hungary with delicious cookies and candies for me.

We chose Iguana's for dinner and margaritas and it was a good choice. So goooood to have Mexican food -- probably what I miss the most from home. (Briggi gave me a couple of packets of El Paso taco seasoning mix for a gift - yea!) Unfortunately, I think I spent too much time in the baths, 'cause I faded early after we went to a place for dessert and we never made it out dancing. Not a good sign on your 50th, but I will blame it on the baths, and not my age!

Sunday was another quick dip in the thermal pools, then off to the bookstores that I knew had books in English. I spent too much money, but now have a few novels and more travel books to help me decide on future travels.

Today a few more classes sang Happy Birthday, still problems with that third refrain. My 9E classes went together and got me a matching set of earrings and a necklace that matched my sweater today, so I wore those all day. I also received another box of chocolates...now up to five boxes! Hmm, might have to share them!

This afternoon David and Agnes came over bearing a home made card (David loves MS Publisher), candles and more candy!

David also brought me food from his family's processing of a pig for meat this weekend. His grandmother sent a piece of the skin, small fried hunks of fat - a crisp little "treat", some type of a very small biscuit made with the pork fat, and a container of sausages made with rice and the liver (no blood).

Okay, the funny for the weekend was with my clothing. First, on Friday I only had 20 minutes at the hotel to change my clothes and freshen up before going to the ballet. I asked for an iron, instead the maid came and took my clothes! I tried to explain I needed them quickly, and she acted like she understood, but seemed to be gone forever. I was standing there in my underwear while texting the gals waiting for me at the Opera House that I was hurrying! I made it with a minute to spare! Then, during an intermission at the ballet I tripped on a step and kind of fell. I was wearing my cheap Fred Meyer boots with the three inch heals and could barely walk the rest of the night. The next day my big toe was all bruised. Then, on Saturday I decided to try for an iron again and was told I could use the one in the maid's room on my floor. I proceeded to iron my top for the evening and on the 3rd or 4th pass, the iron must have gotten it's full heat, because it melted a 3 inch round hole in the middle of my shirt! I ended up wearing the shirt from the night before again. So, when I left the room on Sunday the trash can had my boots and my shirt in it!

No comments: