Sunday, March 1, 2009

The long train ride wait

This weekend I went to Heves and then on to Tarname'ra, a village of 2000, where Briggi's contact teacher, Eta, lives. Eta joined us in Budapest for my birthday and invited all of us to come to her house to learn to make Langos, which is a savory fried bread.


Heves is accessible by train, but from here it required 4 different trains - so 3 changes. And you guessed it, one of the trains was late. So I got into Fuszesabony a few minutes after my next train had already departed. I then had over an hour wait for the next train, for a 10 minute ride! I wondered around the town a bit, and even checked to see if there was a bus I could take instead, but there wasn't.


Arriving in Kal-Kapolna, I then had another hour wait for the train. I checked out the bus schedule and was able to get a bus (but still had to wait an hour) which took me right into the town of Heves, as opposed to the train, that is about 2 miles from Briggi's flat. I stopped into a little pizza place right next to the bus stop and had a pizza while I waited. The people were very nice and we communicated with single words and they confirmed I had the right bus stop, as there was just a bus sign on the pole. The bus ride was another 35 minutes. So, I almost spent more time waiting for trains than riding them...


Arriving at Briggi's flat, I met up with Lauren, Lyla, Carla, Jon and Franny and we had a few minutes to unwind before we headed for the bus to Tarname'ra. The bus driver was thrilled to use his few words of English on this wild group of seven English teachers, and he even made sure we were ready to get off at the right stop. No worries though, because Szandy, Eta's daughter, was there at the bus stop to meet us. (Szandy had also come into Budapest for my Birthday dinner.) Off we went down the streets and I am sure every one was peering at us from behind their curtains as we were chatting away in English as we went.


The Langos making ensued followed by a rowdy game of ... I'm not sure what! We definitely had a good time as you can see by the photos that I posted. The game was a mix of pictionary, charades and taboo and we made up the rules as we went, cause we could not all read the game pieces in Hungarian, nor were the translations very easy. This resulted in Eta writing the phrases for one person then to either act out, draw or speak for our partner to guess what it was. Eta's translations of some of the phrases provided on the cards turned out pretty funny, such as "An elephant in a china shop" instead of "A bull in a china shop" and "Eclipse of the sun" instead of "Solar Eclipse", so we were lenient with each other.


Here are all the pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/margie510/Weekend2283109#


Eta had invited me to stay overnight (which thrilled all the other CETP teachers, since they were sharing one room at Briggi's and they didn't want to listen to me snore!), and so we had a bit more time together. Eta works in the summer as a guide for Rick Steves tours. She is fluent in English and Russian, and would not reveal how many other languages. Szandy is also fluent in English and spent 2 years in the US. Szandy just finished flight attendant training for Wizz Air, a discount airline out of Budapest and will start flying in another week or so. As Eta was recently in Edmonds meeting with Rick Steves and company, she had a copy of his brand new DVD on Iran which we watched. I then borrowed one on Slovenia and Croatia where Becky and I hope to travel the later part of June.



This morning I was treated to hard boiled eggs, fresh whole wheat bread, Hungarian donuts made by Grandma with homemade cherry jam made by Eta. We had time to talk a little about how Hungary changed and continues to change from Communism days to joining the EU. Eta packed me a lunch and Szandy drove me to the train station in Heves on her way to teach an English lesson and I started my long journey home. Fortunately, all trains were on time, or not too late for the next connection, and I even caught the same train from Nyireghaza as Mike again. So that was a nice end to the weekend, chatting with him. He and his wife went to Vienna this weekend to see the stage play of Mama Mia! Sounded like it was great. My train ride home was 4 1/2 hours instead of 6 1/2 on Saturday.

I pondered this sign which I saw on all the trains: What does it mean? I get the no smoking. But what, it's ok to jump out the window? Are they telling you to do it? Or stick your head out as the train is moving? And you must throw your beer bottles out the window? No, no, not any of your other trash, just the bottles. Or are you supposed to have your buddy pass you in a bottle of beer through the window? Just don't get it...

No comments: