Sunday, March 1, 2009

Csiga Pasta






Remember those ceramic and wooden tools used for making pasta that I saw at the museum in Debrecen? (The ones I had a very hard time describing...) Well, after talking to a number of people I have discovered that some people remember their grandmas having such a tool, and David (good ol’ David from the dorm who has helped me with so much) says his mother and grandmother still occasionally make this shape of pasta.

The pasta shape is called “csiga” (cs=ch), which is snail. I found some at the store. Supposedly this pasta shape looks like a snail, but as you can see in the picture, it would be difficult to know that was supposed to be a snail shape! But it is very tiny. The package makes it look as if the rooster is saying, “Ge’pi Csiga”, but this doesn’t make sense to me, as ge’pi means mechanical.



3 comments:

Margie said...

ok, found out more about this, if anyone cares. The number of eggs on the package has to do with how many eggs are used in the pasta, ie, the quality. The bubble that I thought was the rooster's thought, isn't. It just is a label saying that the pasta was mechanically made....

Steph said...

When I was a kid I used to go to the Hungarian church with my grandmother and actually make csiga. I think my sister actually has a csiga board and dowel. No chicken soup is complete without csiga!!

Unknown said...

Steph, I went to the same dinners when I was little at our church in Dayton Ohio. You don't have a recipe for that salty chicken soup do you?